What to do in the event of a fire?
After calling 911 it's important to do your research before hiring a restoration company to help you get your home back to normal. SERVPRO has certified technicians and we are used to working directly with insurance agents and adjusters to make the process easier for you and your family.
Have you ever thought about what you would do if a fire happened at your home?
These steps are things to think about so you understand the process in getting your home or business back to a clean and safe state.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Place dry colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely to prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim, and appliances, then protect thee surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks, and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
- Wash both sides of leaves on house plants.
- Change the HVAC filter, but leave the system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.